Stick Like Glue

When I decided a long time ago that I wanted to re-do my little corner, I started doing some online investigating to see what I could find.  When I saw Jen's amazingly beautiful office over at IHeart Organizing, I felt inspired...especially with her magnetic board, hanging pen holders, and floating shelf.

(Click on it for a close up)

First things first:  A trip to Ikea in Atlanta.  Check!
Second:  Give them lots of money and take home:
~ a bookshelf
~ a floating shelf
~ cute little hanging bowls to put things in
~ spice racks that will soon be book shelves for Karlie
~ a magnetic board
~ little canisters for the magnetic board
~ boxes to go inside the bookshelf

When we got home, JP hung the floating shelf and assembled a bookshelf for extra storage. (pictures to come)  

Next we got started on the magnetic board.  JP and I went to Hobby Lobby last night to pick up some material, spray adhesive, and scrapbook paper.

If you don't like long and wordy explanations, feel free to
 skip to the bottom to see the finished product!

First we spread the material over the magnetic board.


We folded down half of the material, sprayed the material and the board with adhesive, laid the material back down, and smoothed out the wrinkles.  Then we repeated this with the other half.


While that dried, we started on the magnetic canisters.


We took the paper inserts out of the canisters, traced them onto the scrapbook paper, cut them out, and put them in the canisters.  Quick and easy!



After we finished the canisters, I wasn't convinced the adhesive had completely dried so we decided to leave it overnight.  This morning, I flipped the board over and trimmed all the excess material off, leaving 1-2 inches all the way around.


Then using my hot glue gun, I laid down a squiggly line of glue and wrapped the material tightly around the edges.  As you can see in the picture, I only did a little bit at a time because the glue dried quickly since the metal was cold.


Do this all the way around and then you are done!


No comments: