So fresh and so clean clean

Now that the holidays are over and we're oh-fficially done travelling, we're trying to regain control of our house.  A holiday hurricane swept through and left behind dead fraser fir needles, scraps of wrapping paper, empty suitcases, mountains of laundry, and crusty food on dishes piled in the sink.  Slowly but surely we're crossing things off our list.  And as much as I miss our tree and my ruffled tree skirt, I love how big our living room seems.

As we were cleaning the kitchen, we decided to show a little tlc to our microwave.
  


Gross.

We took a microwave safe bowl, filled it half-way with water, added 5 cap-fulls of lemon juice, and put it in the microwave on high power for 5 minutes.  



Things got nice and steamy in there and loosened up all the gunk.  When the 5 minutes were up, I sprayed a cloth with 409 and wiped everything away.  I had to put a little bit of scrubbing into it but it was a quick clean.



Now, in an effort to keeping things real, I'll show you what we did with that nice steamy bowl of lemon water.


That, my friend, is what we like to call calcium build-up.  Disgusting right?  To all those who eat at my house and just saw that...I am SO sorry.

We took that bowl of hot lemon water, added 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar, and make a nice little bath for our faucet.  We removed the faucet and let it sit in the lemon-vinegar water for a long time.  I forgot to time it.  Maybe an hour?  

When that hour(ish) was up, we used a scrub brush to remove all the calcium build-up and were left with this:





I was surprised to see what I thought was an orange squiggly line is actually gray!  Yikes.

JP and Jamie - 1
Calcium build-up - 0

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I love cleaning! Doesn't a spic and span microwave make you feel so good? Thanks for linking up to Refresh Your Nest Friday!

Nancy said...

I am so impressed! I wonder if this would help our glass shower door?! I'm gonna check it out.